Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Surrealistic Photomontage

"Good Vs. Evil" S.Smith 2013
For my surrealistic photomontage I really wanted to use fire and manipulate the eyes so I decided on a sort of "good vs. evil" theme using me and my sister as the models accordingly. I found a really interesting picture of a half-showing red sun, which I duplicated and flipped to form the other blue half. The curtains, which were manipulations in photoshop, draw back to reveal this ying-yang type sun. In front of the curtains I placed myself and my sister on opposite sides and changed the colors in our facial features to reflect a light, soft look to contrast with a dark, fiery look. Finally I added ghost flames to add to the surrealistic effect and had the purple meet with the orange in the middle.
At first, my idea was to incorporate ice to contrast with the flames, but I did not achieve the look I wanted manipulating ice in photoshop, so I went with more flames in a contrasting color instead. Overall, I was pleased with the way this piece came out, especially with the sun morphed together and the models' eyes swirled with different colors. Originally, my piece was partially inspired by Robert Frost's poem "Fire and Ice" because my goal here was to show them equally in a mirrored way.

No comments:

Post a Comment